Millions of people use Zoom. Some use it to connect with their families and friends, while working professional use it to attend meetings. But, like any piece of tech, Zoom can also fail or run into problems. In this article, we’ll be looking at the reasons why Zoom is unable to detect camera on your HP laptop and the ways fix it.
Why Is My HP Camera Not Working On Zoom?
There are various reasons why the Zoom is not detecting your HP laptop’s camera. These are:
- The camera is not functioning.
- Camera driver is outdated or corrupted.
- The camera is disabled on your PC.
- Issue with your Windows OS.
- Zoom is down.
Now that you know the possible reasons why the camera is not working with Zoom on your HP laptop, let’s troubleshoot it.
Fix: Zoom Is Unable to Detect Camera on HP
Try these solutions to fix the camera not working issue on Zoom.
1. Disconnect External Webcam
If your laptop has an external webcam, disconnect it to use the laptop’s camera. Relaunch Zoom and check if it can use the camera.
If the external webcam is not working on your HP laptop on Zoom, disconnect it and then connect it again. If it does not work, plug the USB cable to a different port. This should fix the issue.
2. Check the Camera Settings in Zoom
If you PC is connected to more than one camera, you should check if Zoom is using the correct camera. To check which camera is being used, launch Zoom and enter a meeting. Click the up arrow next to Start Video and select the correct camera.
If you see a red line on Start Video icon, it means that the app isn’t using the camera. Tap on it to open the camera for the meeting.
3. Give Camera Access to Zoom
Zoom may not have the camera access. If you have the Zoom application installed on your HP laptop, follow these steps to give camera access:
- In the search box, type Settings and click Enter.
- Click Privacy & security.
- Scroll down to Camera and tap on it.
- Enable Camera access, if it’s disabled.
- Turn on the toggle next to Zoom to allow camera access.
If you Zoom via Google Chrome (or any other web browser), go to the browser settings and allow access for zoom’s website. Here’s how to do it on Google Chrome:
- Launch Google Chrome and open Zoom official site.
- Click the lock icon at the upper-left corner and select Site settings.
- Click the dropdown box next to Camera and select Allow.
Once you’ve given camera access to Zoom, you should not face the problem again. If the problem persists, you may need to try other solutions.
4. Disable Camera Privacy Shutter
Many HP laptops have a physical camera privacy shutter that blocks the camera access. If your laptop also has a privacy shutter, remove it so that Zoom and other apps can use it.
5. Update the Camera Driver
The camera driver on your laptop could be outdated. You should update the driver to fix the issue.
Here’s how to update the camera driver on your PC:
- In the search box, type Device Manager and hit Enter.
- Expand the Camera option.
- Right-click on the camera device and click Update driver.
- Click Search automatically for drivers.
Windows will scan for a new camera driver. Follow on-screen instructions to update the camera driver. If the latest driver version is already installed, move on to the next solutions.
6. Uninstall the Camera Driver
Your HP laptop may have a corrupted camera driver. This could be the reason why Zoom can’t use the camera. You should reinstall the camera to fix the issue.
Once you uninstall the camera driver, your Windows PC will automatically reinstall it after restarting the device. Follow these steps to uninstall the driver:
- Open the Device Manager on your PC.
- Expand the Camera option.
- Right-click on the camera device and click Uninstall device.
- Click Uninstall.
7. Restart Your PC
A software bug or system glitch could be the causing the camera issues on your HP laptop. Restarting the device is enough to fix many issues. To restart your PC, click the Windows logo, tap on the power icon, and click Restart.
8. Update the Device
Updating your PC can fix the issue as the latest version includes fixes to software bugs and brings many improvements too.
Here’s how to update your PC:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to the Windows Update section.
- Click Check for updates.
If new software version is available, download and install it. Restart your PC and check if Zoom can access the camera.
8. Uninstall and Install Zoom
If you are struggling with the issue, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Zoom application on your HP laptop. You can always download the latest version of the app from the official website.
We hope this guide was useful to you. Let us know which method worked out for you. If you have any questions, do write them in the comments below.