Opera is one of the most popular browsers packed with a lot of features. It has some great customization features you won’t see on other browsers. Although the software works great on all devices, on some occasions it can run into problems. Many Opera and Opera GX users have reported that the wallpaper is not working or showing up. It remains black.
If the Wallpaper remains black on your Opera or Opera GX browser, don’t worry. There are some easy fixes to this problem.
Also Read: 6 Ways to Boost Opera GX Download Speed
Why Opera Wallpaper Is Not Loading?
- The Wallpapers feature is turned off.
- Conflicting extensions.
- Software bugs.
- Outdated Opera browser.
- Opera Battery Saver is turned on.
- Too many background processes.
- Corrupted installation.
These are some common reasons why Opera wallpaper might not be working or loading on your PC. Now that we know the reasons, let’s begin troubleshooting them by applying the below solutions.
Fix Opera Wallpaper Not Working Problem
Try the solutions below one by one until the problem is fixed. The solutions we have mentioned below applies to both Opera and Opera GX browsers.
1. Make Sure Wallpapers Are Turned On
Opera won’t show any wallpaper (that means a black background) if the Wallpapers feature is turned off from the browser settings. You have to make sure that this feature is enabled.
Launch Opera and press Alt + P together to open Opera settings. Turn on the Enable wallpapers option (if it’s turned off).
Now, set a light wallpaper and go to the Opera home page to check if the wallpaper is showing up.
If the wallpapers option is turned on already, but still the wallpapers are not working, you need to try other solutions as well.
2. Disable and Re-Enable Wallpapers
According to a user on Opera forums, he was able to fix the wallpaper not loading issue by disabling wallpapers and then enabling it again.
- Go to Opera Settings and disable wallpapers.
- Close all open tabs.
- Close the Opera browser and launch it again.
- Go to Opera Settings again and enable wallpapers.
This method has worked for some other users as well. So, it’s definitely worth a try.
3. Disable All Extensions
Browser extensions can sometimes conflict with other browser functions. If any of the extensions are causing issues with the wallpaper function, the wallpaper won’t load at all.
Opera won’t notify you of such conflicts. Instead, you can disable extensions one by one to find the culprit. So, start disabling extensions and check if the wallpaper is showing up.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Launch the Opera browser.
2. Tap on the cube icon in the sidebar to see all extensions. If you use the general Opera browser, you can find this icon in the upper-right corner.
3. Turn off the toggle to disable extensions.
After disabling all extensions, close the browser and launch it again. The problem should have been fixed.
4. Disable Battery Saver
Opera has a built-in battery saver feature to reduce battery usage. When this option is enabled, it will disable unnecessary and battery-consuming tasks. If you are animated wallpaper, probably it has been disabled to save battery.
Try disabling the battery saver on your Opera browser.
- Go to Opera settings.
- Type “battery saver” in the search box and disable Battery saver.
5. Restart Your PC
If your computer has low memory, the computer may restrict the browser from using too many resources. This could be the reason why animated Opera wallpapers are not working on your PC. You need to free up system resources.
To free up system resources, restart your PC. It will remove background tasks and clear temporary memory. Launch Opera or Opera GX browser to check if the wallpaper is showing up.
6. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Cache data continues to build up over time. It improves the browser performance, but sometimes the cache gets corrupted and results in many problems. You should clear the browser cache.
Do not worry! Clearing the cache won’t sign you out from any website. Neither it will remove any important files.
1. Go to Opera settings.
2. Tap on Privacy and Security and then select Clear browsing data.
3. Set the Time range to All time. Check Browsing history and Cached image and files boxes. Tap Clear data.
7. Reinstall the Browser
If you have tried all the above solutions but the wallpaper is not showing in your Opera browser, try reinstalling the browser. Probably, some Opera files on your PC have got corrupted. If that’s the case, reinstalling the browser should fix the issue.
1. Close the Opera browser.
2. Type Control Panel in the search box at the bottom and hit Enter.
3. Set View by to Small icons.
4. Select Programs and Features.
5. Right-click on Opera and select Uninstall.
6. Select the Reinstall option.
After hitting the Reinstall option, wait for the process to finish. Once done, launch the browser, set it up, and you should see the wallpaper.
We hope this guide was useful. If you have any questions, do write them in the comments below.